6:00 pm Pacific / 7:00 pm Mountain / 8:00 pm Central / 9:00 pm Eastern Tusday, November 10, 2015 Here is a link to the recording: http://stc.adobeconnect.com/p4wxu8slitf/ Technical communicators near and far: Save the evening of November 10, when the welcome mat will be out for our third annual IDL SIG Virtual Open House! Drop in to find out what we're all about, "meet" our SIG leaders and volunteers, and hear about the many opportunities to be involved with our vibrant, award-winning STC community. All technical communicators are welcome; you do not have to be an STC member to attend. Watch this space for registration information, coming soon. We look forward to your visit! Register on Eventbrite and plan to join us on November 10th.
IDL SIG’s 2014-2015 Scholarship WinnersThe IDL SIG awards scholarships each year to assist students who are pursuing a graduate degree in a field related to Instructional Design. Students applying for this scholarship are expected to be able to demonstrate their focus on topics related to Instructional Design through their academic studies, current jobs, and graduate or special projects. The Scholarship Committee recently evaluated several applicants’ academic records and potential for contributing to the Instructional Design profession, and selected two deserving winners:
- Elizabeth J. Allen, who is enrolled in a Master’s degree in the Instructional Design program of the Learning Technologies Department at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA.
- Kyung Kim, who is pursuing a PhD in the Learning, Design, and Technology program in the Learning and Performance Systems Department of Pennsylvania State University.
STC members can add the IDL SIG (and any other chapters and SIGs) to their membership at any time by following these steps.
- Go to http://stc.org and log in using your STC member user name and password.
- From the My STC menu, choose Communication Preferences.
- Click the My Communities tab.
- Click the Add Communities heading.
- In the SIGs column, select Instructional Design & Learning.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue again to bypass the Printed Publications page (you can always add printed publications later.) The next page you see shows your contact information. You can update any information as needed. In the lower right corner, in the Add-Ons section, the IDL SIG should be listed with your payment amount.
- Click Checkout.
- In the Payment Details section at the lower right, enter your credit card information.
- Click Submit Order.
Join us for the “BPMN Basics: What You Need to Know for Your Content Strategy” webinar with Dr. Jackie Damrau. 10:30 am Pacific / 11:30 am Mountain / 12:30 pm Central / 1:30 pm Eastern Wednesday, October 14, 2015 Register on Eventbrite.
About the webinarIt’s one thing to know content, it’s another to understand the business and how that content works within business processes. This session demonstrates how to model business processes, including documentation processes, using the BPMN 2.0 standard. Learning what a model, a process, and a process model are is critical to determining if a graphical model will represent your content better than traditional words. You’ll learn about different types of process models through a view into the world of graphically modeling your business process content.
Intended AudienceAll Audiences. The content will be introductory (e.g., > “101 level”)
About the Speaker: Dr. Jackie DamrauDr. Jackie Damrau is a Sr. Business Systems Analyst at CBRE. In her role, Jackie models business processes and other department workgroup processes using BPMN modeling notation to use in gathering requirements for automating existing paper-based workflows as well as to help in improving processes. Jackie has more than 25 years of technical communication experience. She is a Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), member of the STC North Texas Lone Star chapter and the Instructional Design & Learning SIG, and the Book Review Editor for Technical Communication. Jackie’s past international positions have been as a SIG manager for the Instructional Design & Learning SIG; assistant SIG manager of the Management SIG; elected member of the Nominations Committee; and general manager of the STC International Summit Awards (2010–2012). Jackie enjoys spending time raising her grandkids and reading “books” when time permits. Find her on LinkedIn (linkedin.com/in/jackiedamrau) or on Twitter (@damrauja). Register on Eventbrite.
Sign up today and join the STC IDL SIG and the UUX SIG for "How to Design Documentation with Users in Mind" by David Dick on September 17, 2015. 10:30 am Pacific / 11:30 am Mountain / 12:30 pm Central / 1:30 pm Eastern Register on Eventbrite.