Today’s job market is not easy to break into. According to Knowledge@Wharton, quoting the Economic Policy Institute, “7% of US college graduates [are] unemployed and nearly 15% [are] underemployed.”  Being “published” with a link in your résumé to your article might give you just the edge you need to land a great job in technical communication or instructional design.
Download the announcement flyer and post it where students can see it.
Get your article in front of hundreds of professional readers
The Society for Technical Communication’s Instructional Design & Learning special interest group (IDL SIG) invites undergraduate- and graduate-level students to submit an article related to instructional design for publication in our quarterly newsletter, IDeaL: Design for Learning. Besides having your article published in a professional publication read by hundreds of practicing instructional designers, you will receive a one-year complimentary STC student membership, which includes a membership in the IDL SIG.
And that’s not all. With your permission, the IDL SIG will submit selected articles for inclusion in the Technical Communication Body of Knowledge (TCBOK). If your article is accepted for inclusion in the TCBOK, you will earn an additional one-year STC/IDL membership! You can also insert another link in your résumé to your article in the TCBOK, which is available for reference by thousands of professional technical communicators.
The process: How to enter the Student Outreach Article Competition
- Download the complete Entry Packet from this page.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions in the packet. If the FAQs do not answer your question, email us at StudentOutreach@nullstcidlsig.org.
- Read the Contributor Guidelines and select a topic from its list of suggested topics – or use one of your own if it is related to instructional design. Note that if you choose a topic not on our list, you need to get pre-approval of your topic by email.
- Write the article without exceeding two single-spaced pages or 1,000 words.
- Use the Final Checklist (in the Entry Packet) to ensure your article adheres to all guidelines.
- Complete the Submission Form. (The submission form is zipped with the Entry Packet, or you can download it on its own by clicking the link.)
- Send your article, the Submission Form, and any graphic files to StudentOutreach@nullstcidlsig.org by March 31, 2017. If you missed this Spring's deadline, watch this page for an updated deadline in the Fall.
 http://www.fairobserver.com/region/north_america/why-cant-college-graduates-find-jobs-43495/ - Why Can’t College Graduates Find Jobs? February 12, 2016.