Do you know someone who might be interested in joining STC? There's no better time to join STC and our SIG, or renew STC membership! The STC new/renewed member recruitment race is now on, and goes through and May 6, 2016. Communities receive credit when someone joins or renews online and notes the community that referred them. Here's how it works: When recruiting a member, have them include the name of your chapter or SIG on the online application -- in our case, the IDL SIG. The referral field is found under the Membership tab. Your community must be listed on the application to receive credit.
- One point is awarded for each member in any of these four categories: Classic, New TC Professional, Student, or Gold Value Package.
- Corporate Value Package (CVP) members are worth one point for each team member. For example, if five new members join or renew from one company as a CVP, your community receives five points.
- One upgrade from 2016 Classic to Gold Value Package membership
- 50% off one 2016 online course
- A copy of WordPress in Depth (1st Edition) by Michael McCallister
- One free 2016 print subscription to Intercom magazine
- One free 2016 print subscription to Technical Communication journal
- Two complete Salary Database kits (including the Excel workbooks)
- Two $50 Amazon gift cards
- One “Community Spotlight” post on STC’s Notebook blog
The team leads and co-managers invite you to attend your IDL SIG monthly meeting and hear what goes into running the SIG. The meeting info doesn’t change from month to month, so why not set up a recurring item in your calendar on the last Wednesday of each month, cut and paste the information below, and join us? Meeting time: 4:30 PM Pacific, 5:30 PM Mountain, 6:30 PM Central, 7:30 PM Eastern. To avoid connection delays, please plan to log on 5 to 8 minutes before the scheduled start time as given above. Click this URL to log on: https://stc.adobeconnect.com/idl
- Select ENTER AS A GUEST and type in the name you’d like us to know you by.
- Click ENTER ROOM. Set up Audio/Phone Connection (this is the preferred method and it is toll-free): when the JOIN AUDIO CONFERENCE dialog box displays, select the DIAL OUT option.
- Type in your phone number and click JOIN. You will receive a call from Adobe Connect confirming the audio connection. Turn off your computer speakers to avoid feedback.
SIG members, During the annual STC Summit, our SIG conducts an annual general meeting during which members learn about what we did the past year, and what we plan to do the following year. Since we are a virtual community, the Summit is the only formal time when we can see each other in person. To encourage as many current and potential members as possible to attend, we started building our meetings around a creative theme. For instance, last year's theme was the Teddy Bear Breakfast in which (almost) everyone arrived in their pajamas. Co-manager Mellissa Ruryk even conducted the meeting in a teddy bear costume!! At the end of the meeting, all attendees received a goody bag with fun teddy-bear themed items including a teddy bear and stickers! This year, we'd like to get ideas from you! We are hosting a contest where we invite you to share a cool theme/idea for our meeting. This year's Summit is May 15-18 in Anaheim, CA. If we select your idea, you will win one registration for any one (1) STC Live Web Seminar (generally priced at around $60 for STC members) in 2016. Find out more about the live web seminars http://www.stc.org/education/online-education/live-seminars that STC offers (link opens in a new window). SURVEY LINK & DETAILS: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DK58DYL DEADLINE: 11:59 pm EST on Wednesday 16 March 2016. We will review all submissions and announce our theme by late March/early April. Even if you are not attending the Summit this year, you are still welcome to complete the survey as long as you are a current IDL SIG member. --Jamye Jamye Sagan IDL SIG Surveys & Social Media Committees
Although the official STC member renewal period has expired, it's not too late to renew your membership for 2016! If you have not done so yet, you can renew today to reactivate your membership, and once again enjoy all of the benefits of being part of STC and our SIG, including
- Discounts on many educational opportunities, such as webinars, courses, and our annual STC Summit conference.
- Access to the STC salary database and "first look" access to the STC job bank.
- Opportunities to network, build your skills, and grow professionally with colleagues both in person and virtually.
- Opportunities to be recognized for your work through competitions, awards, and honors.
- Mentoring and being mentored.
- The right to vote in the annual STC election, which starts on February 29.