By Maralee Sautter, IDL SIG Manager
Hello IDL SIG members,
The third quarter is coming to an end, and hopefully, your summer was amazing and full of vacation fun. The following is a recap of our recent SIG events:
- Accessibility in Technical Writing with Danielle Matthews on July 13. The session was about applying accessibility standards to documentation to improve project success. Danielle pointed out that when we build accessibility in the documentation, it benefits all people with and without disabilit After a quick overview of US Federal Section 508 and ADA accessibility standards, she demonstrated how to use CommonLook PDF to generate accessible documentation.
- First Fridays at 5 in July, August, and September. For those who joined these chat sessions, the casual talk was fun, engaging, and thoughtful. However, we are looking for students or members who want to do a mini-presentation in their area of interest. If you’d like to sharpen your presentation or focused chat skills, please notify volunteer coordinator, Anita Matechuk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or student liaison, Ruth-Anne Klassen (email@example.com).
What’s up for the 4th quarter?
While we spent some time enjoying the last days of summer, once the Autumn equinox passed, the IDL SIG team jumped into 4th quarter action.
Our program manager, Viqui Dill, has already scheduled some great webinars for the final months of 2022, and beyond. Be sure to take advantage of your membership benefits by registering for our events. Most events are free or very reasonable for IDL SIG members.
Currently, we have these events planned for the last quarter of the year:
- First Fridays at 5: remaining sessions in October, November, and December
- Hey Girl Hey: Inclusive Words Matter with Viqui Dill
- Expert or Imposter: Do You Have the Symptoms? with Jackie Damrau
- Intro to ID: Moving from Tech Writer to Instructional Design with Dr. Jennifer Goode (There’s more to come in 2023 with Dr. Goode’s 2-part ADDIE series)
- How to Estimate with John Hedtke
- IDL SIG’s Virtual Open House
We may have other events coming your way, so be sure to follow on Eventbrite at the new event signup and the IDL SIG social media connections. Be sure to read “Stay connected to events, social media, and IDL team.” This short article simplifies how to find events, connect on social media, and communicate with members of the team on our website.
In closing, it’s time to think about joining or renewing your STC membership. Be sure to add the IDL SIG to your membership.
We look forward to serving you!